You will need:
* webspace (preferably rented from a host that allows you to use your domain name, as well as upload files to your site with FTP software)
* webpage files (created by you or your web designer)
* FTP software or other means to upload your files to your webspace
Create a webpage using an HTML editor or by obtaining the services of a website designer. Upload the webpage to your webspace. You now have a website. Knowing how to make a website is not sufficient for creating a good one. Cool Homepages
is an excellent resource for learning about how a good website should look.
* A domain name (something short, easy to spell, and easy to spell aloud), preferably with a domain name registrar that provides free forwarding. Avoid domain name registrar (DNR) affiliates, and, web hosts who are also DNR affiliates. They tend to force you to list them as the Administration Contact, which gives them power over your domain name
* Make sure that YOU are listed as your domain name's Registrant and Administration Contact.
* Avoid registering your domain name and hosting with the same company. If they are displeased with you over one of those services, they can shut down the other or otherwise cause problems