Black Crafters Guild

African Diasporans creating, decorating, and artistically altering by hand

Photographing items for your website (background issues)

Professional-looking, yet low-budget, using an easy-to-work-with background:

A natural outdoor background can usually work well for the photographed item (as pictured), as long as it looks as if the item belongs in that environment.

However, if you do not have an eye for ensuring that such a background will complement or enhance your item, and you can't afford a professional backdrop, use a wide, plain, white, smooth, bendable surface such as a Bristol board or ironed sheet that is free of lint or anything else that might show up when photographed (when photographed, a black surface shows what the naked eye won't immediately see). Place the item on part of the surface, and bend (do not crease) the rest of the surface so that board/sheet provides both a vertical and horizontal background. If the lighting is poor, wait for a bright, sunny day to take photos of your items outdoors.

Center the item in the photo. Ensure that no edge of the item is close to the frame of your lens. This should make it easier and faster to brighten the background to make it disappear, or otherwise change its appearance.

When shooting the item, ensure that only the Bristol board (not any of its edges) is visible in the background.

The following was submitted by a BCG member:

"I hang a black sheet or whatever color across the front of my china cabinet and one across my table, then back the table up to the cabinet. I take the shades off my lamps for brighter lighting. When I need to show more detail of my [items] I put a cake stand under the sheet on the table so that you cannot see it.

For things that need help standing perhaps a small easel that would hold a plate would work."

Girls' afrocentric blouse by Johnna Bebe Designs

Views: 12

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Such great tips, RE. Thank you. :D The scanner one is particularly helpful for me because I don't have to think about the camera shaking, shooting on a non-angle, unpredictable lighting effects, etc.

RSS

© 2024   Created by cheryl.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service